About Me

My photo
One girl, one life, one world shared.

Friday, April 15, 2016

The Sound of Chronic Pain

Every once in awhile, I re-write songs in my head to match particular situations.

*sung to the tune of "Sound of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel*

Hello pain, my old friend
You've come to talk with me again

Because a sensation softly creeping,
Left its marks while I was sleeping

And the throbbing that was planted in my brain
Still remains
And echoes through the nerves in my body

In restless sleep, I tossed and turned
Hoping one side would hurt less
'Neath the cover of my blanket
I broke a sweat and said "fuck it."

When my back was stabbed by the flash of a sharp pain
That split my soul
And touched the sound of chronic pain

And in the naked pain I saw
10,000 people, maybe more
People judging that I take pain meds
People judging if my pain is severe

People deciding for me
Whether I should hurt at all
And to what degree,
Missing the point of chronic pain

"Fools," said I, "You do not know,
Pain like a cancer grows:
It consumes all your energy,
Painkillers change your personality."

But my words, like silent raindrops fell,
On the ears of those who do not know severe chronic pain.

And I sat betrayed by my body
While my mind crumbled to nothing
I became less tolerable to be around
Angry and frustrated with myself

I just want to function normally,
Have my personality
And be done with mood swings...
I want the motivation stolen by chronic pain.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pepper. I've been thinking about some of your posts in light of an amazing book I read recently. It's full of paradigm-busting research on several topics you've discussed here. Schizophrenia, cats, the unseen cause of weight gain in most Americans, etc.
    It's called This is Your Brain on Parasites by Kathleen McAuliffe. Amazing stuff.

    http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?title=This+is+Your+Brain+on+Parasites&mtype=B

    ReplyDelete